Saturday 18 June 2011

I want to compose music Aftab

Aftab Shivdasani says he's keen to do all kinds of films, including art films, and sheds light on his association with Somy Ali

Aftab Shivdasani hasn't been seen on the big screen since 2009's ghastly Aao Wish Karein, but the dimple-cheeked actor will now been seen in an out-an-out comedy flick, Bin Bulaye Baraati, which releases today.

This writer met with the actor at the Dhanraj Productions office. Aftab had a terrible cold that day (he sneezed repeatedly during the course of the interview) and was simply dressed, in a pair of jeans and a V-neck t-shirt, and somehow yet managed to look handsome. Excerpts:

Your last film release was in 2009. Was this break intentional?

Yes, the break was intentional and I wanted to spend some quality time with myself. In eleven years of my career in the midst of people, I did not get time for myself. I needed time to grow internally. Also, nobody can remain in the news 24/7, be it Aamir Khan or Shahrukh Khan.

What is your role in the film?

I am playing a guy who is on the run from the police as well as the gangsters. My love interest in the film is Nisha Kothari (changed her name to Priyanka). There is a gang of five vagabond people who land up in Madhavgarh village and happen to save the village from Daaku Durjan Singh ( Gulshan Grover). This film is an out-an-out comedy and a complete entertainer for the masses.

Do you want to entertain the masses only?

I am open to any kind of films, even art films. I've always believed I am an actor, not a star! Stardom comes after being an actor.

The film has plenty of comedians. You did not mind being a part of a multi-starrer film?

I am also a comedian (Laughs). Jokes apart, I did not mind at all. It is a privilege to work with such good actors. I got an opportunity to learn from them. A film is an outcome of an effort by the whole team and not just by the main leads.

Have you moved away from the boy-next-door kind of roles?

I have grown biologically and spiritually. I agree I have a young and a soft face, which makes it easier for me to play boy-next-door roles. But I can still play anything you want me to (smirks).

Is it true that you desire to become a music composer some day?

Yes, I want to learn and compose music one day. I love all kinds of music, be it instrumental, abstract, lounge or hip-hop.

Somy Ali and you have recently been linked together by the media. Reportedly, you and Somy Ali were spotted in a coffee shop in America together. Is it true?

We were present together at a function during new years where we both were guests. That was the first and the last time we met. I am supporting her NGO 'No More Tears' which fights against injustice for women.

How did you get associated with the film Players?

I am playing a cameo in the film. I do not want people to expect much from it. I did it because of a request from Abbas-Mustan.

No comments:

Post a Comment