Wednesday 3 November 2010

Playing dad biggest role for Slater

HAIKOU: Hollywood actor Christian Slater says his top priority in life now is being a good father to his two children -- and that means not letting them watch some of his movies.

The 41-year-old said his children had seen some of his television work, which he described as "more PG", but a number of his more violent action movies, such as the Quentin Tarantino-scripted "True Romance", were off-limits.

In contrast to the high-octane films which helped make his name, camping trips are the order of the day for Slater now.

"I have a beautiful 11-year-old son and a nine-year-old daughter and having adventures with them is the most important thing I can do right now," he told reporters at a golf event in China.

"I try to be a fun dad. I took them white-water rafting in Idaho over the summer and spent five days camping."

But the actor said his upbringing in Manhattan had not left him well equipped for the great outdoors.

"Camping was not something we did on a regular basis, so for me building a tent and getting all that stuff together was quite challenging.

"The white water stuff was great. We had some good adventures. I fell out of the boat at one point and my son looked a little panicked."

Slater, who is playing in the Mission Hills Star Trophy celebrity pro-am golf tournament in Hainan, southern China, said he kept an eye on what his children watched.

"They've certainly watched some of the TV stuff that I have done, because it's definitely much more PG (parental guidance rating) than a lot of the movies that I've done," he said.

"But I haven't shown them 'True Romance' or 'Very Bad Things' or any of that stuff."

Slater played Will Scarlett alongside Kevin Costner in the 1991 blockbuster "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" and he gave his backing to this year's retelling of the outlaw legend starring Russell Crowe.

"I thought he did a great job. It was kind of cool to see the pre-story of Robin Hood, that was fun," he said.

"The one he (Crowe) was in kind of preceded the one I was in, I guess that's how we can look at it. The one I was in was special for the time it had and I think the one Russell Crowe did was great."

Crowe came under fire from some quarters for his accent in the film, and stormed out of a BBC interview after the presenter suggested he had made Robin Hood sound Irish but Slater said he thought the Australian actor's accent was "great".

Other Hollywood A-listers playing in the Star Trophy include Catherine Zeta-Jones -- whose husband Michael Douglas is battling throat cancer -- Hugh Grant and Matthew McConaughey.

A field of 18 professionals including Nick Faldo and Europe's victorious Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie will play for a 1.28 million dollar winner's cheque over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment