Sunday 20 February 2011

PC Yes I have ten flats so

Priyanka Chopra refuses to accept that the year started on an unpleasant note for her because of the income tax raid at her residence this January.

She says that contrary to stories, there were no men who came upstairs to her house and no "gaddiyan of money" recovered. In fact, she claims that she still will be one of the highest tax payers this season. But it is still a "no comments" stance when you ask the actress whether it's true that once the raid was over, the I-T officials asked her for pictures and autographs!

"The raid is something that happened and there's no denying it. But, the I-T department is a hugely responsible part of the government and whatever investigations they are doing, we are fully cooperating with them – my family, my lawyers, my CA. It wasn't an unpleasant experience at all. You'd expect it to be a bad experience based on what you hear, but they were very well behaved, very courteous," Priyanka tells us.

She also vehemently denies any money being found at her place. Says Priyanka, "There wasn't much found, contrary to reports. They said `6 crore of cash was found, which is like gaddiyan of notes at my home! Are you kidding me? There were like `15,000 in my wallet. No, sorry, `40,000, which is also accounted for, by the way. And if that's a lot, then I am sorry. That's my petrol pocket money. Also, it was said that I have ten flats. These are all accounted for flats and I am very proud that I bought these from my hard-earned money. I am very proud that I started so young and that at my age, I can afford so much with my hard work. And it's all accounted for – all my homes, five of which I am currently living in. These were five one-bedroom flats, which were broken down to make one house. So, if that's considered as das ghar hain, toh hain bhai. Ismein koi galat cheez nahi hai..."

She is also all praise for the officials who came knocking at her door at 7am. "The officials were very kind about it. There was always a woman present in my room when the checking happened. She looked at whatever it was to be looked at, for me and for my mother. There were no men who came upstairs and it was very, very well done. There was a lady who always asked me, 'Ma'am, can I open this', 'Can I see this?', 'Can I read this?' or 'Do you want me to read this diary?' It was so well conducted."

The whole episode might seem ironic considering that Priyanka, as one of the highest tax payers in the country, did an advertisement for the income tax department last year. However, Piggy Chops doesn't think so. Says she, "I still did it this year. I think this year too, I will be one of the highest tax payers of the country. I have done an endorsement for the census too this year."

Even though I-T officials are yet to give her a clean chit, Priyanka is not worried. "I'm very clear when it comes to my dealings, but if the department feels that there's something I owe, I'll be the first to pay it up and say I'm sorry. If that happens – though I don't think it will – I am ready to accept it. I really believe in the laws of the country and I'm very proud of being a part of this democracy. And I have always very much been part of all things that the government has asked me to be part of, as my social responsibility as a celebrity." Tell her that's displaying wisdom beyond her years, and she replies, "I had to grow up very soon; I became Miss World when I was 17. I didn't have a choice. And when you don't have a choice, you deal with it

No comments:

Post a Comment